I can be very neat, and I can also be very awkward, but there are times that I can really get over that. The worst of my waking nightmares is starting the day late. I like to start early with work, because I like to fuss over method. I have a nickname, used primarily by Poy, "Turtle."
Like the turtle, time is very very precious to me. The only way I know to do my work best is step by step. I carry everything I need and might need when I work.
This week, the church I work with celebrated 39 years as a registered organization, and for the past 6 years, I have been working as the secretary. I grew into my job, and I have learned that my work style really requires me to be early. I have a habit of setting up a work station, where everything I might need is within sight and reach. I do not work fast, but I like working like an assembly line.
During the anniversary service last week, I came in 2.5 hours before the start of the service to set up technicals. A significant amount of time I spent cleaning, and a bit of time I spent delegating tasks to some helpful early birds. We finished set up after 2 hours, and the 0.5 hours I just used to calm down. At the end the packing up took 2 guys 0.5 hours to store all the equipment.
I enjoy working down a to-do list, not so appreciative of the success to the deadline, but more that I have done the task well. I do mind the time when I work, but I just feel panic with that element. I live with it, and I understand why it is important. It's like cooking a stew. It's nice when you have all day to prepare, but you still have to eat something by dinner.
Like the turtle, time is very very precious to me. The only way I know to do my work best is step by step. I carry everything I need and might need when I work.
This week, the church I work with celebrated 39 years as a registered organization, and for the past 6 years, I have been working as the secretary. I grew into my job, and I have learned that my work style really requires me to be early. I have a habit of setting up a work station, where everything I might need is within sight and reach. I do not work fast, but I like working like an assembly line.
During the anniversary service last week, I came in 2.5 hours before the start of the service to set up technicals. A significant amount of time I spent cleaning, and a bit of time I spent delegating tasks to some helpful early birds. We finished set up after 2 hours, and the 0.5 hours I just used to calm down. At the end the packing up took 2 guys 0.5 hours to store all the equipment.
I enjoy working down a to-do list, not so appreciative of the success to the deadline, but more that I have done the task well. I do mind the time when I work, but I just feel panic with that element. I live with it, and I understand why it is important. It's like cooking a stew. It's nice when you have all day to prepare, but you still have to eat something by dinner.
posted from Bloggeroid
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.